What do you want to know about being a grant consultant?
Are you considering becoming a consultant or taking your business to the next level? Smartegrants is here to help grant consultants build and grow their businesses. We’re asking you for your top questions about grant consulting a one question survey.
We do a lot of grant training, mentoring, coaching and consulting. There are two questions that I get asked over and over:
1) What is a Grant Consultant?
2) How do I become a Grant Consultant?
The first question is relatively easy to answer. A grant consultant is an independent consultant that provides grant strategy and development, grant writing and or grant management (including evaluation and compliance) services.
The second question is a harder. To become a grant consultant, as with any start-up business or independent contractor, grant consultants need to consider what the client wants. A grant consultant’s potential clients consider the following:
- Credentials and Experience: Grant seeking organizations are looking for consultants with experience, credentials and referrals. They are looking for years of experience with grants, grant makers and grant seeking organizations. They are also looking for credentials like the Grant Professionals Certification from the Grant Professionals Certification Institute
- Specialization: Beyond years of grant experience, potential clients are looking for experience with specific issues, types of partnerships, grant makers, and or types of grants.
- Entrepreneurial Spirit: To be a consultant, whether you’re a grant consultant, nonprofit consultant or business consultant, you need to have an entrepreneurial spirit. What do we mean by entrepreneurial spirit? As an independent consultant you are the business manager marketing department, finance and billing department, HR department, janitor, and IT department. Are you prepared to manage a business while building your client base and serving your clients?
We are updating our Grant Consultant training and coaching programs and we want to hear from you. We’re looking for your input. Please take a moment to answer this one question survey to help us help you!
Here is our survey question for you:
If you could sit down and have coffee with us to discuss launching or expanding your grant consultant business, what would be the top 2 questions you’d like to discuss?
If you know someone who might be considering becoming a grant consultant, please pass along this link.